Bohemian Bandana Scarf, Beginner Crochet Pattern
I love bohemian clothing and decor, so I created this bohemian scarf to jazz up any outfit. It's a simple crochet pattern ideal for beginners who have made their first project and want to step it up a notch. In this crochet pattern we use a variety of basic stitches to build up the color wavy pattern and shape the scarf. This scarf will require a bit of blocking once finished to flatten out some of the colorwork and straighten up the edges.
I also love how versatile this scarf is- you can leave it plain, add long or short tassels, or a fringe for added warmth. You can wear it so the ends hang down, or wrap it around a few times and tuck it in for more of a cowl look. Fasten it together with a shawl pin, wear it as a mini gypsy shawl, or head scarf when its really cold.
I've had so much fun making these crocheted scarves that I decided to make two in different colors to show you the options. For this scarf I recommend using Red Heart's Boutique Unforgettable yarn, it's a gorgeous self striping yarn with long elegant color changes and bold bright colors. I chose two different colors, and I like to pick the skeins so there's a little color overlap which makes the color changes blend together a bit. Images 1-4 are in Petunia and Echo colorway, and images 5-9 are in Tealberry and Winery.
You Will Need:
- -558 Yards of Worsted Weight Yarn (279 of Color A and 279 of Color B) This is what you will need just to do the basic scarf- if you want to add tassels or a fringe you may need more depending on your tension
- -Crochet Hook H8
- -Extra beads or decorative items for tassels or fringe
- -Sturdy card or tassel maker for tassels or fringe
Stitches we will use:
- Dc= Double Crochet
- Sc= Single Crochet
- Turn= Turn the work, done at the end of every row, but we will also be turning partway along some rows to build up the color pattern.
- Ch= Chain
- Sk St= Skip stitch, skip over the next stitch that you would normally work in
- sl st = Slip Stitch
- Dc Dec/Dc2Tog= Double Crochet 2 Together
- Sc Dec/Sc2Tog= Single Crochet 2 Together
- Dc Inc= create 2 double crochets in the same stitch
- Sc Inc= create 2 single crochets in the same stitch